Thursday, October 10, 2013

Transcript of a letter not sent to The Missoulian on Oct. 10 because Laura said it was a bad idea and she was probably right.

Editor:

The current government shutdown should offer President Obama the chance to do what’s been needed to be done for years: suspend the Constitution and dissolve Congress.

Many people suggest we “throw the bums out”, and I’m all for this, but due to gerrymandering, most of the bums never get thrown out (although our own Denny Rehberg was one notable exception). Because congressional seats are drawn to be safe, the bums actually just get bummier.

It’s been a while since the House of Representatives has done anything useful. Once set up with the noble notion of representing “the people”, this group of intellectual lightweights is simply no longer needed. Just trash it.

The Senate does on occasion serve a purpose, but not in its current configuration, which favors career politics over rational thought and money over common causes. I’d recommend replacing it with a true citizen-led system similar to jury duty selection – say, everyone who registers is eligible to serve a term, you’re called up for a set period, and it’s possible to claim hardship and defer your seat to others.

I understand that my plan will cause unemployment in America to increase by 535, but I think most of these guys would be eligible for job training assistance. They voted to fund that, right?

Jeff Schmerker
Missoula

Morning in America

Even before Laura vetoed this, I had already self-edited the final paragraph, the gist of which was that while the Constitution was temporarily off-line someone could take about five minutes and rewrite the stupid Second Amendment so it made sense.

Lately I’ve had the radio alarm set to Bill Bennett’s ‘Morning in America’. Despite having an AM talk show, Bennett is sometimes not completely irrational, yet there he was the second morning after the shutdown, saying: ‘This is good. This is unity for the party.’ Did he see this ? I’m long past the point where I will ever vote for another Republican, but still I think having such a weak party is bad for the two-party system. (Which, when I come into power, will be done away with, of course.)

I guess this guy did not see that poll, either. But he’s probably not the type to give a shit.

Some people have better things to do, I guess.

In this morning’s paper, instead of my letter to the editor, was this quote, from Richard Layne, who is about to embark on a three-year quest to hike the Continental Divide across Montana on snowshoes.

‘Before David, before Solomon, even before Abraham, there was snowfall on the Continental Divide and the horrific conditions I get to see when I go out. I get to see what was here 10,000 years ago. That means more to me than anything else.’

Anyway, here’s a picture of a baby climbing a mountain:

 photo DSC00429.jpg

No comments: