Saturday, August 16, 2008

Filete de bife y uno cortado mas



Thanks to Laura, I had the steak last night.

Argentina is known as the land of thick and juicy steaks. We went to the market in Mendoza where there is a line of restaurants along one wall and a line of butchers along the opposing. So freshness is not really an issue.

The cook himself cut my steak from a massive slab of beef. It took 20 minutes to cook medium over wood. We had it with a bottle of the cheapest wine in Argentina -- Toro Viejo (´Old Bull´) Classic. Nonvintage, nonappelation, not even a grape ... but at less than US$3 it was hard to pass up.d

Good times.

I don´t know what I´m going to do when we leave Arg. and I can no longer walk into any cafe and order a cortado. Cortados are drinks I got hooked on in Spain ... little shots of espresso and steamed milk for a buck. They´re never on the menu ... it´s more of a locals drink and much heartier than the standard cafe con leche, which is Laura´s drink of choice.

In the bus station the other day in Neuquen I went and got one at a stand-up cafe. I don´t have any explanation for it but I just really like going up to the steam-hissing bar and asking for a cortado.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I trust that you will find a substitute for the coffee. But fresh steak cooked over a wood fire...that experience may be singular. Was the wine good? We found a great white here in S.L for $1.99. We bought a case!

the larsons said...

Ah! Now I'm jealous again! Fresh steak and a good, cheap wine, with money left over for "cortados." Sounds wonderful. -e.