Thursday, July 17, 2008

"Snowy Valley"

First full day in Chile and Steven Hatcher took us to Valle Nevado. It's one of the three major areas fronting Santiago. We fell asleep to clear skies and a full moon and awoke to rain and 48. In the car by 8 for a drive that is only 30 miles long but covers 6,000 vertical feet -- no, more like 7,000 -- and 42 hairpin curves. Never been on a road like that. Up at Valle Nevado there was about 4 inches new.

Road to Valle Nevado

It's a big place, totally open.

Summit chair, Valle Nevado

Over there is Steven.

Steven on the edge in Valle Nevado

The skies cleared instantly and we were treated to an above the clouds view of the Andes, culminating with a view of a nearby 18,000 foot glacier clad mountain. Coolish and windy, which kept the lines freshly filled in. Wine and proscuitto for lunch in the snow.

Lunch, Valle Nevado

Wine made the walk back to the lifts seem shorter than it really was.

Laura at Valle Nevado

In all, the funnest day I've had in a very long time.

1 comment:

the larsons said...

I'm not sure I can read this blog anymore I am so jealous. OK, I'll keep reading. I can't wait to hear of more adventures. we miss you!